Wednesday 5 September 2012

Magic Box - 'Something Wicked'

 
by the pricking of my thumbs
something wicked
this way comes...

This box was purely for fun.
I love Halloween and I love these lines from Macbeth.

It had to be a blustery, Autumnal day.
I wanted a broomstick - in the air,
 
an old, twisted hat
(made from velvet paper),
 
and a book of spells.
There's a 'bobbly eye' on the front cover...
 
...that bobbles when the book is opened.
 
 
I think I love Halloween more than Christmas.
Is that bad?
 

 X 
 
 
Here's what I used to make the box:
 
Stamps;
Basic Grey clear stamps set 'Eerie Collection'
(for the box and inside panels).
I used the large web. Stamped with VersaFine 'Onyx Black'
and highlighted with black holographic glitter.
 
Star Highlights on inside panels;
A star background stamp I made myself
(I have the Imagepac Daylight Stamp maker)
Stamped using IndigoBlu 'FlitterGlu' - FABULOUS glue!
and sprinkled with holographic gold glitter.
 
Spell book stamp;
Hero Arts wood mounted rubber stamp 'Small Script'.
Stamped using Tim Holtz Distress Inks 'Brushed Corduroy'.
I also aged the pages with this colour.
The page edges are highlighted with ultrafine brown glitter.
 
Punches;
Mini spider punch (monocodirect.co.uk).
Xcut botanical embossing punches;
Oak
Beech
Woodware small maple leaf.
 
Leaves inked with;
Crushed Corduroy
Rusty Hinge
Spiced Marmalade
Mustard Seed
Crushed Olive
 
Box panels inked with;
Rusty Hinge
Spiced Marmalade
Mustard Seed
Crushed Olive
 
The Bats;
I drew the bats (using a white pencil)
onto black card and cut them out.
I applied Woodware black 'Fluffy Stuff' to their bodies.
 
Broomstick;
Handle;
A straightened paperclip bound with a
glue soaked length of kitchen towel.
Inked with 'Brushed Corduroy' and 'Crushed Olive'
after it had dried.
 
Broom Head;
A length of brown paper inked with the above colours.
I cut fine slits along the full width then rolled it onto the handle,
applying small amounts of glue along the way.
I wrapped a small length of sewing cotton near the top -
to mimic a rope tie.
Finishing with highlights of clear and brown glitter.
 
Witches Hat;
I made this from black 'Velvet Paper'.
It held its shape well but was a 'Devil' to stick!
 
-o-


27 comments:

  1. I just love this one.

    Great work.

    I'm glad to see that you are blogging again, i missed the beautiful boxes.

    Hugs Yvon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, not bad at all. ;-)
    I love, love, love that box. The little book, the hat......just every little detail.
    So creative.
    I'm so glad you are back blogging.

    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just beautiful Elaine. It really evokes that feeling of chills, fall and Halloween! I love it. And no, there is nothing wrong in liking Halloween more than Christmas - LOL!

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fantastic Elaine, totally magical.Amazing colouring and details with a flying broom and bats, love the littel spell book..brilliant.

    luv CHRISSYxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your magic boxes are awesome...And this one is extraordinary!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! This is a fantastic piece of art.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thrilled to see you blogging again - you never fail to inspire. This is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this BOX!!tHE LITTLE BOOK IS GREAT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ciao Eleine...
    your halloween exploding box is super super beautiful!!!...
    soon Ada

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I am just amazed at all your gorgeous boxes!! Incredible!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH YES!! Elaine is BACK....... Absolutely stunning Box......

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful,just wonderful! So clever you are.
    I am pretty sure you have been given my share of talent!LOL.Keep well.Rosie.xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely beautiful boxes so inspirational and i'm congratulating myself that i've found your blog today! Thank you for sharing these lovely ideas with us. Lisa xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my you have really outdone yourself this time. I am in total awe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMGoodness. I love all your boxes - this is exceptional work...........so creative. Well done you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Elaine, My friend, Dina Kowal and I had a Magic Box throwdown on our blogs today and linked your wonderful blog and tutorial. Thank you so much for the inspiration. Your Something Wicked box is amazing. If you get a chance hop on over and check out our posts. Kittie http://kittiekraft.typepad.com/kittiekraft/2012/09/butterfly-garden-magic-box.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kittie

      Thank you for your link to me.

      I'll be popping over to see - can't wait!

      Hugs
      Elaine x

      Delete
  17. Oh my gosh you are so incredibly gifted!! This Halloween box is soooo fabulous and you are so creative. I left you a msg. on SCS but had to come here to see all the detail and just admire the BOX, again!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have not been to you blog in nearly two years but think your creations just get better and better. Thanks for sharing them they are truly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just when I thought you couldn't possibly top your last boxes. . .BAM, you do it! WOW this is amazing!!!! Halloween IS my favorite time of the year and no that is not bad. This is the most awesome box you've created yet. And that broom and spell book are just jaw dropping. You are simply amazing! I wish I had an 1/4 of your talent!!! Hugs, Curt

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG.....this box is stunning!!!
    Look at all the details and the great sponging and shading.
    Absolutely fantastic!!!

    Have a great Sunday. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow, it is beautiful, it is stunning.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment I really appreciate you taking the time!
Elaine X